1. Some people think that family life and parents have great influence on children's development, while others consider that external influence plays a more important role in children's life, discuss both views and give your own opinion.
2. Individuals can do nothing to improve the environment. Only governments and large companies can make a difference. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
3. In some countries, secondary schools aim to provide a general education across a range of subjects. In others, children focus on a narrow range of subjects related to a particular career. For today's world, which system is appropriate?
4. Nowadays human activities have negative effects on plants and animal species. Some people think that it is too late to do anything about this problem while others argue that effective measures can be taken to improve this situation. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
5. Films and computer games containing violence are popular. Some people say they have negative effects on society and should be banned. Others say they are just harmless relaxation. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
6. Some people believe that if police officers carry guns, it can encourage a higher level of violence. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. Many animal species have become extinct in the world nowadays. Some people say that countries and individuals should protect these animals from dying out, while others say that we should concentrate more on problems of human beings than on those animals. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
8. Some people think that the government should only spend money on public services rather than on arts such as music and painting. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
9. Scientists now find that people have health damage because they eat too much junk food. Some people think the answer to this problem is to educate people to eat less junk food, but some people think education will not work. Discuss these two points and give your opinion.
10. Almost anyone can use a cell phone to answer work calls and home calls at any place 7 days a week. Some people think this development has negative effects on both individuals and society. Do you agree or disagree?
11. University students should pay all the costs of their studies because university education benefits only individuals but not the society as a whole. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. Some people think that men and women have different qualities. Therefore, some certain jobs are suitable for men and some jobs are suitable for women. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. Some people think that the increasing use of the cheap air travel has brought many benefits; others believe this development has drawbacks on the environment and world’s resources. Discuss on both sides. What is your opinion?
14. In today’s world, it is private companies rather than government who pay for and carry out most on scientific research. To what extent do you think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
15. Some people believe that the charity organizations should give aid to those in greatest need, wherever they live. Some people believe that the charity organizations would better concentrate on helping people who live in own country instead. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
16. Nowadays, people always throw the old things away when they buy new things; whereas in the past, old things were repaired and used again. What factors cause this phenomenon? What effects the phenomenon leads to?
17. Many old buildings are protected by law because they are part of a nation's history. However, some people think old buildings should be knocked down to make way for new ones because people need houses and offices. What’s your opinion?
18. If a product is good or meets people’s needs then people will buy it. Advertising is unnecessary and is no more than a form of entertainment. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
19. Report research suggests that majority of criminals who were sent to prison would commit crimes when set free. What do you think of this case? What to be done to solve this problem?
20. Museums and art galleries are not necessary because people can see the historical objects and works of art in these places on television or on the Internet. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Task one: map; bar chart; line chart; table
北京学为贵五道口校区地址：海淀区成府路 28号优盛大厦D座 7 层 电话：010-62660404
. . . . . . . . .